At different stages of our lives and for different reasons, we need to change what we do for work. Perhaps you’re in a job and considering moving internally to a different area or, it could be that you’re looking at moving into a different type of role at a different organisationa or even, you’re transitioning back into paid work having taken time away.
Generally, there are three types of job search or transition:
1. you need to find a new job (there are lots of reasons for this)
2. you’re looking for a promotion (either internal or external to where you work)
3. you’re looking for something different (again, there are a lots of different reasons for this)
Whatever your situation, it can either be a difficult, challenging or exciting time (or a mixture of all three) and it’s important to think clearly about your “WHY” as you ride the emotional roller coaster to your new job.
Before you just start applying for jobs, here are some questions to help you think about your current and next career move:
1) Why did you take your current/previous job?
2) What did you want to learn from it?
3) What experience did you actually gain?
4) Did it help you achieve what you wanted?
5) If you stay in your current job, what additional experience do you think you can gain?
6) What is important to you in your life now? Can you prioritise these?
7) What do you want to get from your next job?
If you’d like to discuss your career goals or challenges, feel free to get in touch.