So, you want to prepare a good cover letter?
To start with, it’s important to understand what makes a “good” cover letter.
The purpose of your cover letter is simply to make the person reading it want to find out more about you and read your CV.
Most people who receive your cover letter will be receiving many others so this means they won’t spend much time reading yours unless it tells them quickly what makes you suitable for the position that’s been advertised.
This means that your cover letter should include the following:
- A sentence to explain why you are interested in the position
- A sentence to explain why you are a suitable candidate based on the requirements outlined in the job ad
- Some details about your most relevant experience or key achievements
- A sentence about your strengths and areas of specific interest, in relation to the position
- Good grammar and spelling, correct tone (not too informal) and an appropriate greeting/closure
Finally, remember that your cover letter should always be less than 1 page and it must be aligned to the position description.